New Hope Pit Bull Rescue
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Pit Bulls?

Go down

Why Pit Bulls? Empty Why Pit Bulls?

Post  lpyrbby Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:55 pm

Since you are here, you probably have at least a remote interest in pit bulls Smile

Why do you like them? How did you get involved with the breed?

I'm going to make a second post with my answers Smile
lpyrbby
lpyrbby

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-12-09

http://www.nhpbr.org

Back to top Go down

Why Pit Bulls? Empty Re: Why Pit Bulls?

Post  lpyrbby Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:05 pm

Somewhat of a "long" story but years ago when I was with my ex, his roommate was into dogs. He probably was your typical "macho man, macho dog" kinda guy. But, he took d@mn good care of his animals. That's what's important Smile

Anywho, my ex wasn't the most..pleasant person to say the least. Without going into the whys and the hows, the roommate told him about a young blue female that this guy was selling. My ex's thoughts were about puppies and what money she could make for him. I wasn't against getting a dog but told him that I wouldn't be responsible for taking care of her, especially since he wanted to breed her down the road. I didn't want that responsibility.

Needless to say, it didn't turn out like he said it would. She was crated for extended periods of time and got upset that she would piddle in the house or crate. She had NO training. My ex was a control freak and wanted things his way. I found myself taking care of her more and more because she NEEDED it. It finally came to a point that I was so miserable with her treatment and his lack of interest in her that I finally took the time to start training her. I didn't want a dog but she wasn't going to find any out time without training. It wasn't until I started teaching her things that my ex took an interest in her. Suddenly, she knew things and he could "show her off."

What made me totally smitten with the breed was her. My ex would stay up til all hours of the night. As her training progressed, she got more freedom from the crate at night so I started letting her sleep on the bed with me when I got tired. She'd come stretch her body along my back and asleep we would go. When my ex would finally come to bed, he'd shoo her off. She was a smart girl though and waited until he was sleeping and then would come get back on my side of the bed, away from him and cuddle.

Sadly, when we split, he took her. I miss her terribly much and wish I had the knowledge I have today, back then, when I might have been able to make more of a difference and possibly been able to keep her. Every time I think about her, I say a prayer for her safety. I'll take her back in a heartbeat if given the opportunity. *sigh*
lpyrbby
lpyrbby

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-12-09

http://www.nhpbr.org

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum